According to the World Health Organization, chronic diseases, like cancer, heart disease and type 2 diabetes, are responsible for over 60 percent of deaths worldwide.

That’s not good news. The good news is that there are several ways in which you can reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer and other chronic diseases. By estimations, up to 80 percent of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and other chronic diseases are preventable.

In order to reduce your risk of chronic diseases, there are lifestyle changes you need to make. Privis Health,  your source for digital healthcare, offers ways in which you can avoid chronic diseases.

Stop Smoking

This is a no-brainer. Smoking increases your risk of cancer, lung disease and stroke, so it is best if you ditch this filthy habit right away.

You could go cold turkey, but this isn’t going to work for everyone. You have other options including nicotine patches and gums. Therapy is also an option.

Stop Drinking

Well, at least cut down on your drinking. Having the occasional cocktail or glass of wine with your dinner isn’t going to do any harm. However, regular heavy drinking does increase your risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer and high blood pressure.

According to experts, moderate consumption of alcohol constitutes one drink a day for the ladies and two drinks a day for the men.

Eat Like a Champion

For good health, a longer life and a lower risk of chronic diseases, you will need to avoid cholesterol, saturated fats, refined carbs, trans fats and sugar. These all contribute to diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

There is strong evidence that the high intake of fruits and vegetables will reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. There is also plenty of evidence that the consumption of whole grains also reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke.

Keep Safe Blood Sugar Levels

For good preventative health, cut back on candy, soda and other sugary sweets. If you can, do your best to just eliminate them from your diet. If you do get diabetes, it can damage your heart, kidneys and nerves over time, It can even blind you.

Keep on Moving

You don’t need to hit the gym every day or run marathons to get good exercise. Exercise doesn’t even have to happen in a structured environment. What matters most when it comes to exercise are the frequency, intensity and duration.

All you need to do is take a brisk walk for just 30 minutes. You could also take shorter brisk walks two or three times a day if that suits you better.

Get Your Cholesterol Checked

Here is something many of you might not know: Diet isn’t the most important factor in determining your cholesterol level. Surprisingly, only 20 percent of your body’s cholesterol comes from what you eat. The other 80 percent of your cholesterol is produced by your liver. This is why it is so hard to lower cholesterol strictly with a change in diet.

If you can’t control your cholesterol through diet, see your doctor for options.

Sleep Well

Sleep restores the body and has a huge effect on how we feel. If you are having trouble sleeping, it might be due to your diet. Food directly relates to serotonin, which is a key hormone that promotes healthy sleep.

For a good night sleep, focus and eating lean proteins, unsaturated fats and complex carbohydrates.

Check Your Blood Pressure

You might have high blood pressure and not even know it. One out of three American adults suffer high blood pressure and if you have it, there are ways to keep it under control.

But you will never know you have high blood pressure unless you go and have it checked.

Stress Management

Stress kills. Stress is not a state of mind, it can be measured and it is dangerous. Stress cannot be just switched off, you need to find healthy ways to deal with your stress.

See Your Doctor

One of the best and easiest ways to reduce your risk of chronic diseases is by paying a visit to your doctor at least once a year. In addition to taking your blood pressure, checking your heart and drawing blood for blood work, he or she will ask questions about your state of health that could give a clue to any problems.

Privis Health offers a comprehensive data-driven program including proactive team-based service models, a structured approach to a transformation network that balances local innovation and enterprise priorities, and a supportive technology platform. Contact us today to learn more.